Registration is now open for Exploring Judaism 2023!
Led by Temple Israel’s clergy and master teachers, Exploring Judaism is for those born Jewish, interested in Judaism, contemplating conversion, or entering a marriage with a Jewish partner. We will explore Jewish belief and thought through the reality of a pluralistic Jewish world while staying consistent with historic Jewish tradition.
If you are planning on converting to Judaism through Temple Israel, you are required to attend at least 80% of the classes.
Topics will include:
- Jewish ethics and values
- the principles of Reform Judaism
- creating a modern Jewish life
- understanding what is behind the High Holy Days and Jewish festivals
- the cycle of Jewish life from birth to death and mourning
- different understandings of God
- prayer and liturgy
- sacred Jewish texts
- a timeline of Jewish history from the Bible through the Enlightenment
- antisemitism and the Shoah
- Israel and Zionism
- the denominations of American Judaism
- Reform Judaism in the 21st century
If you have questions, please contact Emma Figarsky, Crosstown and Programs Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you register, you will be sent a confirmation email with a link to purchase the required textbook, Honoring Tradition, Embracing Modernity, published by the Union for Reform Judaism and the Central Conference of American Rabbis.
There is always something going on at Temple Israel!